Wednesday 28 September 2011

The pub swan - a found poem

1              A pub swan sits and downs his beer
And drowns the fuels that brought him here
I stand and watch and chat some, too
But not to him; it wouldn’t do

A pint of heavy in my hand
A sip, a scowl, for I have planned
To have this alco-syrup last
Until the entire evening’s passed.

Friends arrive and gas away
The waste from kegs shall fuel their say
They put to rights as best they can
The world, their wife, the law, the man

But still I think here of the swan
To understand just what’s gone wrong
Into my pint I stare and grin
And think one day I might be him.

Until I wander, crazy bounds
I’ve left my friends to paint the town
Alone; it’s really not my scene
For I have home, and I have queen

And in the days to come I’ll see
I have what’s sought and ought to glee
That powered lives may let off steam;
But a life of swan’s an empty dream.

And so to you this verse I send;
For ne’er are seconds quick to mend.

The end.



You know, I can't help but think that the "I" in this poem is a bit of an arse, don't you think? And the second verse reads like it might be being spoken by the swan him / herself, as does the third, and maybe the sixth. Anyway, it is what it is, I suppose.


Y

No comments:

Post a Comment